Monday, January 21, 2008

 

Once again my favorite place, but for a new reason

I have been a fan of Hueco Tanks State Historic Site in El Paso County every since my first visit. I've been on hiking tours and rock art hikes with volunteers and staff members, and hope someday to go bouldering, since the park is a world-class bouldering venue and it just looks like so much fun!

Over the Christmas holiday I took friends on an organized rock art hike, and the volunteer guide pointed out something new....ruts in the rock believed to be left from travelers on the Butterfield Stage Mail route.

This year will be the Sesquicentennial (150 years!) of the Butterfield Stages, which brought the first transcontinental mail delivery to this country. You can read more about the Butterfield sites and events across the state here!

--Beth Nobles, Texas Mountain Trail Regional Coordinator

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?